Inuit kayaks.....how do they sew them ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
bb07's links on another thread this morning brought a conversation to mind.
I had a discussion with a friend a fortnight ago about Inuit kayaks and the skins they used to cover them.
Tim Severin's Brendan came up too, but he used oak tanned skins and he double saddle stitched the oxhides. Inuit skins aren't tannin tanned and I'm pretty sure the stitching is different too.
How do the Inuit stitch their kayak skins together ? what stitching? and do they seal the seam afterwards or does the stitching method create a waterproof seam ?

cheers,
Toddy

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
I have quite a few good photos of the kayaks from when I was in Greenland. I'd have to email them once back in the UK I have limited internet in Equatorial Guinea they should give a decent idea photo wise to compliment any written instructions.

Will

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There are several really old ones in various museums.

John Sakenoses is in Edinburgh museum. (He was a guy from Labrador who came over on a Whaler to study art. He later acted as a translator on several expeditions.)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Can anyone believe that a certain museum had a, presumably, Greenland kayak from the 19th Century, change of collections policy and it was given to a local kayak club who used it as a play boat in the surf until, I believe, it was no more?

However, read Seal-folk and Ocean Paddlers: Sliochd Nan Ron by John Macaulay for the possibility of Sea Sami kayakers or even ones local to Scotland as well as sad kidnapped Inuit. Then there is the possibility of a kayak type boat in Scotland in the Bronze Age at least that we tried a reconstruction of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE