grub to leave in a pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Agreed. Very minty sugar. And the point of it is????

That said I do have it in my snow bag in the car. As someone else on here said. I pack it cos I know I won't eat it. That way it's always available for when I'm really that desperate.

They even make chocolate covered version now. Waste of chocolate :pokenest:

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
Last edited:
Lifeboat Rations

Just been looking at the Expedition Foods website and they're not doing them any more. But Evaq8 do them, just google lifeboat rations and look for the evaQ8 website.

They taste like shortbread, have a long shelf life and will deflect an indirect anti tank round fired at close range.

One of those claims was made up.

Edit, just looked at the bushcraft store offering and they dont look very appetising, but then they are emergency rations, not gourmet food

Last edited:

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I'd like to add something usfull to this thread but the reality is i just eat rubbish,

Bombay mix (hot) Peas are the best bit
Supernoodles
Hotdogs
Allday breakfast in a tin
Pepperarmi
Cheesestrings
Corned beef
Peanuts
babybells (not sure these last too long)

All the good stuff

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You need to be careful with the supermarket dried stuff.It often contains huge amounts of salt and monosodium glutamate amongst other chemistry set stuff.
It can be very easy to get dehydrated eating this stuff : you may need to carry extra water!
I keep a tiny bottle of Tabasco in my rucksack: it even makes filling station sandwiches palatable.
Cheers , Simon

Very good point - about the additives!

olbugger

Feb 23, 2013
Shire
What are these like?

I was planning to get a few packs to feed to Beaver Scouts on camp, as a different mid morning snack.

Will I just get them trying to spit them out into my hand..............

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/us-coast-guard-emergency-ration---2400-calories-per-pack-11085-p.asp This is what I was thinking of.

I wouldnt want to eat this stuff by choice really , i don't the kids would either . It tastes pretty much like salty bit sweet uncooked pastry dough , which is what it is really . Flour water fat salt suger in a lump . Like it says , you would if your starving , but .....

olbugger

Feb 23, 2013
Shire
Perhaps add a small can of tomatoe puree to your list if you mean to make stuff from scratch . Can be the basis of soup , sauce , stew etc . Or you can add it to bread etc . One item - many uses .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE