There is nothing worse than ice in your beard ......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks like the pony we saw this morning on our way to the hills, mind you, we had a haw frost rather than the snow you have up that way, yup, that's frost on it's back and up it's mane.

DSCN1618.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah they seem to shrug off the cold don't they - especially the tougher breed. Mrs Shire is a touch bigger mind you - you get no sense of scale in those piccs - this one is better - BB (pictured wearing a bed :)) is nearly 6 foot tall

Shire Mare and BB by British Red, on Flickr

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Reckon you are right - they soon perked up - they love a right fuss. The two "boys" (one stallion and one gelding) associate BB with polos (they had never had one till they met her) - they now hit full gallop crossing the field to her. The baby is 18h3 - the other lad bigger. Funny to watch a couple of tonnes of horse flesh thundering towards you and skidding to a halt in a spray of mud....for about a gram of polo mint :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful creatures..Long ago I ended up in a French jail for a few hours, because of a shire horse :viking: ..

They are indeed - soft as butter too - the "boys" are known to us as the "woofle monsters" as BB does the horse whisperer breath thing with them, so having charged up, breaths must be exchanged :D.

So come on - spill the beans - A shire and a Frog......

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
A bit adrift off topic but connected in some way.
Once there was a thriving trade of live horses from Ireland to France for the Boucheries. On an unbelievably cold day in Dunkirk (Dunkerque) an Irish ship loaded with horses tied up astern of my ship and the French dockers, probably on piece rate, began to unload them in great haste. Swinging them ashore with a crane and rope slings not the proper canvas belly-bands they should use, the poor old horses were screaming as the rope bit into them.
Eventually the inevitable happened and one big shire, kicking and wriggling fell from the stops and broke a leg on landing on the cobblestone key. Anyone who's heard a horse scream will remember it.. They then hooked a fork-lift truck to the rope strops and started to drag the injured Shire down the cobbled quay on it's side as it couldn't stand up.

Our Bosun was a hard case Scouser of great renown, Big Jimmy Owen. He said something like "Oh! goodness me, I think we should have words with those gentlemen" and led 5 of us down the gangway. For a brief while it was like Agincourt, outnumbered we held our own but then a riot squad called the CRS turned up in those French vans that used to look like corrugated tin sheds on wheels. They had guns and big white batons..
We all got a battering and thrown into vans and ended up at the local Gendamerie in a cell.

Much waving of arms by the shipping company agent and the bloke from the British consulate's office and after about 6 hours they threw us out. (They kept my watch the tealeaves) The happy ending was, when we got back to the docks there was straw strewn on the cobbles, belly bands were being used and there were some (students I think) with clipboards and white coats supervising and controlling a humane unloading process.

A long time ago, but never forgotten, and I don't care if they were 'only' going for meat it was worth a few bruises. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE