a night out in the snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
out in the hammock last night and just thought i'd post a couple of photos and tips

DSC02444.jpg

rucksack on a classic tripod with boots, i carry two short lengths on rope in my bag, one for making this and one for bundling firewood or dragging lengths back to to camp.

fitted my light in the top. it's about head height when in bed, but with the reflector bouncing light down onto the snow which reflects back up. also note the honey stove handy by. with all the wood being frozen i found it easiest to get the honey going and then warm and dry wood around and over it before starting my fire. and i kept the honey running until the fire was well established. once the fire was going the honey stove was filled with new sticks and put over the embers to "cook the sticks" ie dry and defrost them/ part char them. then it was put aside, these are the sticks that you can see in the photo. this meant that if i woke in the middle of the night needing a brew that the stove was good to go with it's own fuel, otherwise the morning brew up. i've found the honey stove great for this type of thing, lighting a fire under shelter and moving it out with dry fuel when it's chucking it down, or putting embers in it for cooking whilst leaving a main camp fire in it's current arrangement.

DSC02445.jpg

a small bag made from two trouser leg pocket sections. this lives on a ridge line from the hammock ends, to put keys and glasses in etc. and because i didn't sew up the side edges you can fit a half bottle of brandy between (for medical purposes);) you can also the bungees from the UQ (right hand side of the hammock) and one of the tabs for them to go through (on the left)

DSC02454.jpg

resting my hot drink on some sticks, to protect it from the cold ground

DSC02456.jpg

when looking to hang something, don't focus blindly on up pointing branches, note the use of a down pointing piece here.

hope these tips are of some use to someone,
dunc.

Last edited:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
wonderful tips, and it looks like it was a wonderful night too! Cant wait for my own cold weather camp. Im forgoing the hammock this time though, and trying out a ground bivvy with tarp to extend my knowledge and experience.

Love the pocket pocket! :p

Power

May 28, 2012
UK
Looks great, nice pics, has inspired me to get out there sooner than planned. cheers

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
What Power said :) Can't wait to spend night out in the snow. My first one by the way... ahhhhhh
thanks for the tips!

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
it'd been forecast to be cloudy, but turned out to be a clear starry night and a beautiful morning. glad i went, didn't set off till after 7pm, so hammock rigging in the dark. this is where it shows if you've packed your kit right and know what you're doing with setting up camp. for Phaestos, Power and milius2, i hope the weather is as great for you guys when you do get out, and i look forward to photos of your trips. dunc.

1 shot willie

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2012
DEVON
Hi Capt.dunc

Love seeing posts like this, great tips, and nice photos too.
As Power says.......inspiring......thanks for sharing.

Bill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE