Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm in a similar situation, though with me, i know what i'm going to make, just not sure "how" i'm going to do it. As you say Stew, no rush :)

I have no idea what to do at this stage! Deadline is too far away to think about it. :D

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Just adding my name to the list:

Made own blade

1, abominable_scouse_monster
2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, TurboGirl
7, southey
8,leighwill
9, Dave53...... Heat treament needed.
10, grey-array ( Hand Forged blade, first timer)

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53
8, Dark Horse Dave
9, BeerHunter

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
6, Warren Bond

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
im totally rushing as im going away very soon for 6 months....:(

no bushey stuff for me then...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

but then i will get 6 weeks hols to make up when i get back..:):):):);););););)

Jan 15, 2012
essex
A stick tang will get virtually no votes on this site as they are not the fashion due to the perception they are inferior.

I would not say that. Its a lot easier to bolt 2 bits of wood to a full tang blade and sand it down to the shape of if.
Were a rat tail you got to shape the handle yourself, plus you can mix woods and metal ect and from my point of view can look realy good.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I would not say that. Its a lot easier to bolt 2 bits of wood to a full tang blade and sand it down to the shape of if.
Were a rat tail you got to shape the handle yourself, plus you can mix woods and metal ect and from my point of view can look realy good.

I like stick tangs you can get some really beautiful handles with stick tangs that you can't get with slabs, I like both.

I'm going to pull out of this as I cannot commit the time at the moment. Best of luck to very one else doing this.

That sucks :( real life gets in the way far more than it should. How far did you get?

resnikov

Not very, but had it planned out, knew which blade I was going to use and the wood for the handle and had an idea about mosaic pins. Had yet to purchase all the bits. Still going to make it but not in the time frame.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Just adding my name to the list: I got some wood and bits and a blade come in the post yesterday so why not, all good fun.

Made own blade

2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, TurboGirl
7, southey
8,leighwill
9, Dave53...... Heat treament needed.
10, grey-array ( Hand Forged blade, first timer)

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53
8, Dark Horse Dave
9, BeerHunter
10, PyroPhil

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
6, Warren Bond

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Here is my parts i got from brisa, prices in euros, lauri 95 blade 8.50, walnut 4.60, Curly Birch Super 7.10, bolster 1.30, pommel 0.20, leather spacers 3.00 =24.70 euros. 1 euro is 80p.
P9100268.jpg

Yesterday i cleaned the blade, fitted the bolster, cut the wood and drilled, fitted, glued with epoxy.
P9120269.jpg

And just now finnised shaping and sanding and gave it a coat of danish oil.
P9120270.jpg

P9120271.jpg

Turned out not bad for my first go at knife making, the leather went a bit dark after i put oil over the handle, hoping that will dry lighter than it is now.
Tools i had were a hack saw, finner cut than my wood jack saw. Dremel I have with lots of bits. SAK. A file and a selection of sand paper, think that was everything i used.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Mate, its the movement of the clay from its initial position as the moisture dries that gives the hamon. The more movement, the thicker the temper line. You get 2 colours, one above one below the temper line. The temper line is the distictive bit. No movement of the clay, no temper line. :)

Best way to get rid of moisture is to stick it in the oven at 80c or leave the door open. It wont create pressure in the form of steam to move the clay, but it'll dry it. Obviously you dont harden the blade with the clay on, just temper it. It creates a differential temper. But it needs a reasonably quick temper or two.

CHIN UP DUDE!!!!!! :)

I know this isn't relevant to the overall thread but this is not close to what I understand to be the standard way to produce a hamon. The clay is put on the spine and the blade quenched in water at the usual hardening temperature. Traditonally these blades were not tempered at all.

What you are describing might produce some sort of temper colouring but it won't be a Hamon and I guess would scratch off very easily. Have you got an image of what it looks like when you have done this?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've not tried it yet. Only read about it.

Yeah i see what you're saying though, I'm trying to order some W2 atm so will have to read a lot more about it anyway. :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Having to pull out, stil gonna watch with interest though!

Made own blade

2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, southey
7, leighwill
8, Dave53...... Heat treament needed.
9, grey-array ( Hand Forged blade, first timer)

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53
8, Dark Horse Dave
9, BeerHunter
10, PyroPhil

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
6, Warren Bond

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Well I'm bumping myself here I guess!

I had a good old whittle with this last week at the Bushcraft Magazine October meet, and it performed very well. Very easy to sharpen with a good strop. I've given the handle another coat of Danish oil as well, and it's looking really nice (if I say so myself!)

I'm not at all bothered whether I win the competition or not, but I'm really pleased it gave me the push to have a second go at making a knife. I really enjoyed the process, and have a good knife at the end of it - win win I reckon!

Hi all

I know I put my name down for this competition right at the start, but I fell off the list somewhere along the line. I've been on my hols too, so haven't kept up with things. Anyway, while I was away I had a go at making a handle for a stick tang blade. This is my second attempt, and I've tried to learn from the good advice I got on my first (here, if anyone's interested: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77834).

It's a Polar 77mm hammered carbon blade (£16), a brass bolster (£3) and a lump of birds eye maple (£8). I'm quite pleased with it, though Mrs DHD reckons the handle is a bit too wide. I think I'll leave it as it is though, and have a go at another one (it's good fun, and I can see how people get into it as a hobby).

Anyway, enough rambling; here it is:

Polarknife.jpg

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Pyrophil and DH Dave, you may both congratulate yourselves, They look awesome
Phil: a Great go for a first time I'd say, but I have yet to make my entry so lets see how mine turns out ^^
DH Dave: I love the simplicity of the knife, I find it really hard keeping it simple for myself ^^ but that knife looks like it will handle like a dream so I hope it wil serve you well for the coming ages ^^

Yours sincerely Ruud

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
oh s**t! :yikes: I totally forgot about this competition! ahrg!:banghead:

everybody else who forgot, repeat after me: "I will get out in the shed and do something!I will get out in the shed and do something!I will get out in the shed and do something!"

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
just realised i hadn't put my name on the list

Made own blade

2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, southey
7, leighwill
8, Dave53...... Heat treament needed.
9, grey-array ( Hand Forged blade, first timer)
10, capt.dunc

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53
8, Dark Horse Dave
9, BeerHunter
10, PyroPhil

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
6, Warren Bond
8,​

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE