Article: Quick Cheap Pocket Stove To Make

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
Just made one there, really great idea. Got a nice cup of coffee out of 10 mins work!

I thought it would be a great idea to melt a tea-light candle on my stove fire but the wax out and filled the whole room with fumes haha. Oh well.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
You need to melt the was quite a bit first time then let the cardboard catch. after the first use (make sure the whole ring lights before extinguishing it) then the cardboard becomes like char cloth (i.e. lights really easy) and it should like quickly in future.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
the lynx can is a great stove to make, i loved making that, and works a treat, and when they are done properly there is no difference to one of them and the white box stove., and all for the princely some of a can of lynx.
i have just done a XL version as at the moment the lynx are doing a much bigger can for promotion i think, but that has turned out great to.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Met a guy once who used one of these stoves for a couple of months while hiking in scotland. He would collect the scrapings and dog ends of candles from bothies he stayed at.

Stu

OakTinder

Jul 31, 2011
California
I just made one of these tonite after reading this I'll post the pics tomorrow.I use a small crossman .22 cal tin it fits snug in the BCB crusader burner to!

Aug 3, 2012
kent
Reminds me of a simple stove we use to make as kids, we used to use an empty 1/2 tin size of baked beans or spaghetti etc and wash it out, then pack it with cardboard and cover in wax as described, we'd then use 3 6" nails wedged in the pot to form a stable rest for whatever you were cooking, was a cool way of cooking up a tin of sausages and beans or even heating up cuppa :)

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Greetings from South East Bulgaria. Read this then made several an hour later. Great idea mate and thanks for sharing. I also filled one with used vegetable oil but that was not as good as the candle. I'm going to cook bannock and something else on one and video it this week, The tins I used were sweet tins and we had just ate baked potato and tuna so the tuna tin was the one with the veg oil. Again thanks for posting, that was fun.

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
My sister made these in the tuna can size, in the Girl Scouts back in the 60's. They made some manner of tin, box stove to use them with also. I think a few of the tea candle size would be handy to have for starting a stubborn fire in a pinch too. Now that I've been reminded of them I'll make a few today. Thanks for a good project.

Sep 29, 2013
Portland Dorset
I've made one before from an altoids tin and it worked really well.They are a great back up stove to keep in a survival kit. A tip to overcome the sooting up of your cooking tins is to coat the bottom of them with neat washing up liquid. It wont prevent them from sooting but it makes them a lot easier to clean afterwards.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Used to make these in the 'Travel Sweets' tins when I was a nipper, on the very rare occasions I'd managed to persuade my dad to buy one and then let it run out. I must admit i never used one to cook on, just a cool thing to do and have when camping. Equally good fun was had melting the wax in a tin (it was the 'separator' triangular one from my mum's pressure cooker that was never used) on the Trangia and dipping my hands in it as it cooled to make 'gloves' that could then be peeled off and re-melted :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE