Possible Comrie Croft meet up weekend of 14th and 15th September

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Bit embarrassing request after all the posts about folk like me. I have no idea how to correctly navigate with a map and compass. I do have the sense to not go hill walking without the right tools and knowledge. If someone has the patience, could I get an introduction to navigation? I'm not the hill walking type but it would be nice to have an idea in case of emergencies.

Also a recommendation of a good compass to buy? Not got a lot of cash, so a balance between price and quality would be good. Some of the compasses in my local shops look and feel like they fell out of a Christmas cracker.

Silva 155056 Expedition 4 Compass £19 is a great all round compass. There is a great wee online tutorial here http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/products/navigation-and-gps/navigation-and-gps-compasses and a great wee set of instructions here http://mapzone.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/mapzone/competitions.html

Was gonnae come up tae Comrie, but the NE lads are having a wee gathering at Haddo House same weekend. If you are going to Comrie in the future and we hook up, would be happy to share what I know.

Windy

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
little bump
I,ll be bringing along a box of sharps axes machetes and Knifes to for swaps or sale plus a few odds and sods :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I dug out the netmaking kit, would anyone like to have a go ? I've got a fair number of netting needles, but making them is good carving practice too :D

Bronskimac, I have a Suunto compass, and it'll be in my pack. Happy to have a play with it........we could do the Ranger beads too ?

cheers,
M

This looks like a good time. What's the craic with the venue? Is there a fee to pay? What's up with the camping? I have a tent and gear of course, I'm just checking for unwritten rules. I have a well-behaved dog and tablet-weaving knowledge to share. I would love to learn net-making, and if anyone's doing navigation that'd be excellent too

Andrew

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm still going, and I'll bring the netmaking kit........I've some blanks roughed out, so bring your whittling knives :D

Good luck with the meds, Bronskimac :)

cheers,
Toddy

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Cheers Russ for all the cups of tea and pancakes ,and thanks to Mary for teaching me how to make nets and for the tablet,, Yum Yum

Jason

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was good to meet folks and sit and catch up :D

George's carving is beautiful work :approve:

If the field is ploughed and the weather's not horrendous, might be good to fieldwalk it and see what turns up ?

Thanks for organising this one Russ :D

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE