Geocaching?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I've been convinced (in other words talked to death before i submitted) to try geocaching since athough i have the New forest a few miles away I have not yet walked in it so bought a Garmin eTrex Venture HC GPS Receiver.

Hopfully i'll get to use it doing some walking in the New Forest (if not it will be up for sale on here LOL)but geocaching is new to me so anyone on here doining it and have advice for a compleat novice?

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I do it with the wife and kids a lot as a way of making being out a little more fun for them (the allure of finding 'treasure' seems to help)

My main advice would be to ensure you thoroughly read the cache description before setting off and ensure that the hint is somewhere to hand as it can be needed in some instances.

If you haven't already I'd suggest registering on the geocaching website and using that to find cache's in the respective areas you plan on visiting. From there it's down to you and your nav

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
geocaching.com is the one I am on. I have the application downloaded onto my iphone and this is my gps. I download the caches to the phone and then use their application and toppo maps to navigate to them.

Basically once you find a cache you are interested in looking for you get either the GC code (which is useable with interfaced devices) or download the file for GPS. Then have a read of the description and hint and away you go.

EDIT:

Just a screenshot to illustrate which bits to pay attention too

gc.png

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Geocaching.com seems to have a lot more choice than any of the others I have seen.

I would heartily recommend it as its good fun for both kiddies and adults.

As below check the descriptions and make sure you take a pen with you to fill in the log sheet to say you have found it.
There are sometimes small items (tat mostly) that you can swap in some of the larger ones.

The main thing to remember is they have been hidden so random passers by don't stumble across them so remember to check under stones and bits of bark, inside holes in trees or under roots etc... I have been constantly surprised (and frustrated) by people's ingenuity in hiding things.

Once you get a feel for it you can also start placing your own which is good fun and means you can start being crafty.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Good move - I really enjoy geocaching. I started as I was getting bored with my regular dog walks, and it's taken me to some wonderful spots within minutes of my home that I would otherwise never bothered to explore. A lot of the cache setters also list a bit of local history within the cache description so you can learn about the place as well.

You might get frustrated at first as some cache setters seem to enjoy setting micro caches somewhere in a tree in a wood with poor GPS signal - some might enjoy this but I don't. I often make a few hours of it, taking a brew kit and maybe a camp lunch / boil in the bag and maybe even a tarp if the weather is inclement. You can do some cracking walks - I did a few hours around Greenham Common yesterday - I've lived in Newbury my whole life, yet had never visited the place - I found it really interesting. It's also good when the other half wants a day out in a town shopping - you can take the GPS and find some caches while she spends your money!

Does your GPS have the facility to accept a micro SD card to allow maps to be put on it? If it does, PM me...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I recently got in to geocaching as well, find it good fun and also get you outside more,

I stumbled on geocache.com in Feb this year but not done much on it untill this weekend just gone, as I found out 2 guys at work are on it as well, its started a little comp between us... :).

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
+1 for caching. My little un really enjoys it and as others have said its a great way of finding spots that you wouldn't normally visit.

I nearly wiped out some elderly cachers at the weekend, the daft beggars had parked in the middle of the road on a blind bend with double yellow and double white lines. The cache they were doing was only 50yards from a car park.

I always like to plot the caches onto an os map the night before. I also carry a stick and a laplander as some of the less visited caches get really overgrown. The stick is also handy for fending off curious bullocks.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
'Caching is a graet way of getting to see things in places you wouldn't normally see, or getting to know a new area.
For example I always try to do a few around any new place we're holidaying, many are situated along great walks or in beauty spots.
I'm on geocahing.com, same username as on here.

Dave

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
I started in 2003 when there were only 7 caches in the whole of Devon! Have had many enjoyable excursions including climbing Cadir Idris in a blizzard and going to the end of the longest pot hole in Devon. Lost interest after 1000 finds and am totally signed up to the old fart brigade who believe it is not as good as it was in my day :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE