Catty Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I think you'll find the Therabands a completely different kettle of fish. A lot of the purists say that the commercial tube bands aren't really powerful enough for hunting. That's what I've heard anyway.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
the tubes are ample for hunting however your accuracy will need to be very much better,for instance when using the correct set up with thereband a chest shot on a rabbit will pass through killing the beastie near instantly,the same chest shot with tubes will just injure the animal ,which is not cricket!

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I want to bump this thread because I am interested in any replies it may get. I have been looking at catapults for the last few days. I currently have a Barnett Diablo with standard tubular band which is seriously under powered. I have been doing a bit of research and I believe the red magnum bands are more powerful, but nowhere near the power of the flat Theraband bands, which I believe are not suitable for Black Widow & Diablo ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am thinking of buying either one of the Gamekeeper or R K brand of catapults, both supplied with double theraband bands but, cannot make my mind up on which one. Any advice would be appreciated. I am probably leaning more towards the Gamekeeper. Both are easier to carry than the Diablo & a lot more powerful
Thanks

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd be interested to see a ballistics test with a standard tubular band catapult vs a theraband catapult, on ballistic gel or even clay! and a run over a chronograph!

any volunteers?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

ah very good! basically the theragold bands gave an extra 60+ feet per second than the abrnet heavy hunter bands. I'd say considering the size of the ammo used, that is a significant increase in power!

Only a ballistics gel test will show you the damage though, it can be had on ebay for not too much.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
anyone who knows will tell you bands are fast but dont last long
tubes last and if ya get the right tubes you will get the speed you want i always go with tubes
if ya tie them on as a woodie you can put flts on a black widow type cat

Thanks for the replies. Are there any makers on here or sites out there that sell catties made up with the theraband gold? Would love to try them both out.

When I tried my BW down at the moot I found it quite underpowered when using with a bit of distance.

The video I saw on YT yesterday was with a comparrison of theraband and latex.

Also how would the bands deal with using rounded stones if out and about?

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
An other option is tapered tubes. Similar power to the original "surgical" latex tube, but thinner at one end. Supposed to give an easier pull for the same power, so you can get off more accurate shots.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trumark-C...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3f116120de
I have a set but haven't tried them yet.

There is far too much "mine is bigger than yours" when it comes to power of catapults. Yes multiple Thera band cats can give massive power tested over a chronograph. The weight of pull is also likely to be prohibitive, a smooth pull and release is essential for accurate use. Great to have lots of power but if you can only use it a few times before fatigue ruins your aim, it not much good.

The catapult forums I have looked at have a very heavy bias toward "traditional" and/or hand made catapults exclusively using flat band, either Theraband or other alternatives. The are generally very dismissive of the Back Widow surgical latex tube type catapult. For my purposes my Barnett Diablo Pro II does what I want.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I dont know if there are any makers on here, there probably is.
I am undecided about which one to get of the two below on ebay. On the Gamekeeper one if you look at sellers other items there are other designs as well, plus a link to his youtube channel where he reviews many of them and other peoples catapults as well (including the RK one).
Youtube also has loads of instructionals about making your own, making & fitting bands etc. I may just buy the bands on ebay and make my own catapult ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330769922348?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271031066161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Theraband gold will produce 18ft/lbs with a double band tapering from 30mm at the catty to 20mm at the pouch, and 20ft/lbs with the taper going 30mm to 10mm, again double bands. :)

I'd be interested to see a ballistics test with a standard tubular band catapult vs a theraband catapult, on ballistic gel or even clay! and a run over a chronograph!

any volunteers?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Thanks for the replies. Are there any makers on here or sites out there that sell catties made up with the theraband gold? Would love to try them both out.

When I tried my BW down at the moot I found it quite underpowered when using with a bit of distance.

The video I saw on YT yesterday was with a comparrison of theraband and latex.

Also how would the bands deal with using rounded stones if out and about?

Shame ya didn't mention at the moot. I had my Fish Hunter catty with double Theraband gold, could have tried then.. I meant to get it out and play, just never got round to it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've made a couple :)
P1000870.jpg

P1000882.jpg

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Steve (mesquite) made a few for the moot. I bought one with double gold thera bands. It has fantastic power. He might have some left pm him

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE