Alternative to Coleman fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Well I've been running my TK800or S-9 stove on petrol for a while as I refuse to pay £10 for a liter of Coleman fuel but I finally got sick of the smell of petrol and the fumes given off whil priming the stove, not to mention the greasy film it leaves in anything you spill it on. So I started looking for alternatives and found a few threads on various sites mentioning that panel wipe (used to degrease car panels before painting) is very similar to coelman fuel.

The issue with this is that not all of them are suitable due to the fact that some are water based and others contain additives. After a few hour of searching I came across TETROSYL PANEL WIPE, it's 100% pure n-Hexane which is one of the hydrocarbons found in petrol. It has an octane rating of 26, evaporates without leaving a trace and burns very well. Even though it's less flamable than petrol I found it primes in my stove much quicker and even simmers stightly better if a windshield is used.

I payed £20 for 5 liters deliverd off ebay but have since found it for around £13 on this site:
http://www.metalflake.co.uk/product_details.php?id=PWS050

The manufacturers COSSH/product information sheet can be found here:

http://www.tetrosyl.com/clients/www.tetrosyl.com/assets/Pdf/Refinishing_MSDS/Pre-wipe_Degreaser.pdf

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Yea I came across that but couldn't find supplers in my area, it didn't work out any cheaper than Tetrosyl and I wasn't sure if would leave a residue/ greasy layer with it still being designed to be used in engines - even if it's meant to burn cleaner. I'd be interested to know how do you find it though? Just incase I ever come across some on the cheap.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Yea I came across that but couldn't find supplers in my area, it didn't work out any cheaper than Tetrosyl and I wasn't sure if would leave a residue/ greasy layer with it still being designed to be used in engines - even if it's meant to burn cleaner. I'd be interested to know how do you find it though? Just incase I ever come across some on the cheap.

I find it brilliant, no residue, no smell the stove runs the same with no power loss. I wont use anything else now.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Another thumbs up for Aspen 4T. It's worth travelling a fair way to get as it burns as cleanly & as well as Coleman. Get a 10ltr drum it'll last you ages. It's an 80 mile round trip to my nearest stockist so I tend to stock up when I visit the Lake District.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Well if I come across some 4T while on my travels I'll be sure to give it a go. Off for a week wild camping and scrambling in Scotland in a couple of weeks so between us I gues we could get through a fair bit of fuel.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
4T is very good, been using panel wipe for years with no problems, Coleman fuel is down to about a fiver a litre if you shop around, no need to be paying ten quid anymore.

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
Is TETROSYL brand naptha?

I use a 5L 100% Naptha Pane Wipe from AutoSave Components. Although the next time I need it I plan to go and see the guys in the local car paint shop, angling for trade (or near) price.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Para , where are you going in the Lakes for supply of Aspen 4t mate?
I fancy a drum of that so sick of Colemans prices.
Cheers , Simon

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Para , where are you going in the Lakes for supply of Aspen 4t mate?
I fancy a drum of that so sick of Colemans prices.
Cheers , Simon

Just call into Panel Factors on Brook St (just along from Machine Mart) and ask for Fast Panel Wipe, its not Aspen 4T but then again you didn't have to drive to Melmerby for it either.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Is TETROSYL brand naptha?

I use a 5L 100% Naptha Pane Wipe from AutoSave Components. Although the next time I need it I plan to go and see the guys in the local car paint shop, angling for trade (or near) price.

Naptha is a mixture of diffrent hydrocarbons I think "It consists of a complex mixture of hydrocarbon molecules generally having between 5 and 12 carbon atoms" Tetrysol is just a single hydrocarbon called n-Hexane that has 6 carbon atoms. Light naphtha Would burn well though I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE