About to click buy on a Dutch army sleeping system......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

I am about to click buy on a dutch army sleeping bag. Unless that is, you good people can advise me on a better solution to replace my trusty old Vango bag.

I've had my vange 3 season bag for getting on 10 years now, and on it's last outing, I found myself cold. Taking into account the age of the bag, I think it's time for a replacement.

I don't have a massive budget, and I'd like something that will suit both ground dwelling and hammocking. It will be used a lot, one of the by products of this hobby and scouting. The Dutch system looks the biz, and is a nice price, especially when compared to the corinthia system!

I guess I don't really need two bags, as I have a snugpak traveller for the hot weather, but, I do like what the dutch system seems to offer as a whole.

I also really like the front zip system, and reckon that could be good for hammocking.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Rob

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got the Dutch sleep system. For the recent Sussex meet I only took the inner bag (Tropen) - the built in mosquito net came in handy and it's actually pretty roomy in there so didn't feel too claustrophobic. I'm still going to go for a hammock with built in net, though. I had my underquilt, a silk liner (Eurohike) and my trusty wool blanket over the top - I was nice and warm.

The outer bag, Defence 4 is very warm and the centre zip helps when in a hammock. One disadvantage is, though, that the hood isn't very big. If you just want to lounge in it, you can't open the hood right up - at its biggest the breathing hole is about 6" across.

You are welcome to pop down and try mine out for yourself if you like.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Thanks Spandit, nice one.

The breathing hole may be an issue for me I think, as I am a wriggler in my sleep as it is, and can get claustrophobic in a normal hood all drawn up. I think, that has been what has been in the back of my mind, refraining me from hitting the purchase button!

I have the DD frontline, and it's superb, and roomy when I have the net up. I have made an underblanket from a cheap argos bag, and do intent one day to buy a proper one, and go down the Top quilt route too.

It's occoured to me as I type this, that maybe I'd be better getting a conventional sleeping bag. I have a cotten liner, a sungpak traveller and an underblanket (of sorts), so the dutch system may well be over kill.

Thanks for you kind offer of letting me take a look at it Spandit, but I'm, hoping to get one by the weekend. After that, I'm away with work for a while, so finding time may be difficult.

I hope one day to find time to make a sussex meet though, and if I ever get out for a weekend that isn't scouting based, I'll make sure I post an open invite. It sure would be good to put faces to names.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all, firstly, apologies for the thread ressurection!

Secondly, how does the Snugpack Special Forces system compare to the Ducth system. Ignoring price for a moment, am I right in thinking that, nased from the photos I have seen, the snugpack system has a bigger head opening, that is more in line with a conventional bag?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... how does the Snugpack Special Forces system compare to the Ducth system. ...

I have no idea. But reading the thread for the first time it occurs to be that you might want to consider just buying another cheap two or three season bag that will go outside your existing bag.

That will be a flexible setup, quite a bit warmer than one bag, and a lot cheaper than buying one of these new-fangled sleep systems..

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Indeed, and I am leaning towards a sungpack softie elite 3, but, with hammocking, the centre zip certainly has it's appeal.

My vango bag is dead, and will be binned. As you say, I could always use the traveller inside another bag.

The elite 3 seems to tick all the boxes, nice pack size, 3 season which will do me most of the year.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I use an Elite 3 and in my hammock its a nightmare to get in and out of. Im thinking of getting another BA arctic bag as the centre zip is spot on.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Anything that makes it more of a PIA than any other mummy bag? I manage ok at the moment, as I get in my bag, sit in my hammock and then spin round, so would do the same with the elite 3.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi

I totally agree with Johhnyboy, I have the same set up Elite 3 and man its a full workout to get into the hammock and then get in to the liner then bag and then Bivi bag.
it good during the depths of winter as you never go to sleep cold, but a pain if you have to get up at night.
I also have a arctic bag and having central zip is the best with a hammock.

Reg
Rum

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...i've always heard nothing but good things about dutch stuff but having not owned any or used any i couldnt say re: the claustrophobia....what i can say is that i own the b/army arctic and jungle bags and i cannot recommend them highly enough....and my b/army bivi bag is a monster....decent weight and folds down small....the hood is large enough to house a small town....

regards

a

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
b/army bags are great as are the carinthea defence4 ,i also have a elite 2 but its a p.i.t.a with the constantly snagging side zip.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i have the dutch arctic centre zip with the clip on bivy and roll mat, great system for the floor, although hanging, i would only use the bivy combined in the depths of winter. summer i can reccommend the snugpack overblanket with maybe a jungle bag too. if thats any help, but we all sleep differently. :)

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Cheers pal.

My end game is to have a sleeping system for my hammock, and one for when ground dwelling. For now I am after a compromise, so a bag that will last, that is a 3 season rating. Any higher and I get too hot. I'm making an UQ for my hammock from a £30 Argos bag, just need to tweak it,

I'm torn between the snugpak softie elite 3, or the special forces 2. I don't think I need the 1 as well.

The elite 3 is winning at the mo, it's slightly cheaper, and I know I get on with the mummy style, side zip bags.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE