Advice for Pen y Fan mountain walk this weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Ive walked most of the Cheviots in winter in just a Helly hansen and a Sweatshirt/or Waterproof over this with No problems. You will need little while moving BUT when you stop put something Warm on Straight away That when your ski coat will be worth the bulk and weight carrying.
Just remember a flask of something Hot and your hat and gloves.

Most severe winter was -10 and in the wind and I was warm with just basic layers. Its all about practice. See whats best for you but take a couple of good warm layers in you daysac for a just incase time.

Last edited:

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
i think the words bloody hell come to mind!!!!!
Thanks to everyone for their advice..after seeing this picture i may well reconsider the outing tomorrow-even though the weather is supposed to be good all day those conditions are much more extreme than i would have expected and combined with the fact that my mate hasnt a lot of kit im not sure whether its worth the chace or better postponing until spring time :-( buttttt all being said i prefer to know now rather than drive 40 miles then turn around!

56b29ceb-a7d2-35fb.jpg

This is me up Pen Y Fan on Monday. I set off at 0500 to get some sunrise photos from the summit, but within 20 mins on the mountain it quickly became more about battling the elements and just making it to the summit safely. This is the only photo I come away due to poor visibility from about 2000ft up.

On the summit it was -7 with a windchill of roughly -25. I had a technical base layer beneath a fleece and jacket. I even took a soft shell in my rucksack too just incase. A hat and neck gaitor really helped reduced the windchill on the day too. I opted to take YakTrax micro spikes as I heard there was a lot of ice on the mountain but they just got ripped up. )c: My only regret on the day was not taking crampons.

All in all, a great day out though! (c:

M

mattmcdaid

I think if both you and your mate had the required kit, and the weather forecast is good for tomorrow I would've said go for it. But even if the sun is supposed to be beaming all day, you MUST be prepared for the worst. It's been said a million times and I can't emphasise enough how quick bad weather and poor visibility can close in around you. You have to faith in your own ability to get your bottom out of those sticky situations and if there's any doubt then you shouldn't be up there.

My advice would be, get yourselves the necessary kit, plan thoroughly, wait for a good spell of weather (Spring / Summer) and head on up. Hopefully it'll just be case of you sticking to the path all the way up with the sun on your backs allowing you to take in the awesome views at the summit!

I was up that way week before last and it was pushing ice axe and crampon weather so make sure you are well prepared;

Plenty of layers, especially wind proofs.
Hat and gloves are essential.
small stove & fuel would be a good idea.
Head torch.
Emergency shelter.

its very likely that you could encounter white-out conditions so be sure you have a map and compass and know how to use them properly.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was up on a summit (Blorenge) at the lower end of the Beacons national park today. Less exposed and significantly lower than Pen y Fan. The wind was horrendous. No snow at that level, but very cold, I got out of the car for a dog walk, and was back in within 5 minutes. Not nice. Colder tomorrow, with possible wintry showers. Be advised.

Just remember that there is nothing wrong with turning back if it starts to get difficult. If you start to think that you are in trouble then it is probably too late to get out and should have turned back 30mins ago when you saw that cloud coming over.

But it is good fun up there, as long as you are careful you will have a good time.

Last edited:

bearbait

If you can choose a route with the wind not heading you on the ascents it will be easier. The windchill can can be ferocious at this time of year, and a strong wind in your face on any ascent can make it seriously hard work. After all, you're doing it for the fun! And the exercise...and the views! The col/ridge to the W or SW of Corn Du always seems to be very windy/exposed when I've been that way, so take care, particularly on a blustery day. Pen y Fan really can be worth the haul. And the full horseshoe from the S/SE on a longer day is a really great hike. Have a great trip...

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Would like to thank everyone for their advice on this!! We ended up being cautious and doing a nice walk and some castle spotting in llangibby (near usk) we now plan on doing sugarloaf in the next week or 2 to get some experience before tackling the beast :)

Thanks again!!!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
A wise move. I always work to the saying Getting to the top is optional - getting home is mandatory! Which has meant in the past completely binning my planned route half way through a three day walk and adding 10 miles to avoid some upper fells when the weather closed in earlier in the week than the forecast said when I set out.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a weird place when it comes to weather. But doing the Fan Dance is something you won't forget in a hurry. It's a different experience every single time you do it.

M

mattmcdaid

Wish I could do the SugarLoaf with you Andy! I havnt done that one since the 80s! Try and get some photos up on here once your back! Have a good trip!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm going to be perverse now, but all of the 'be extra careful' advice that we all (myself included and to the fore) automatically throw out when someone starts a thread like this always leave me wondering it we end up putting people off. I bet most of us did something daft like going up Pen y Fan in February with no experience and the wrong kit, and now here we are a few years later, all the better for the experience.

Not saying we aren't giving good advice, since most of it is sensible, safety related, and given with the intention of avoiding a nasty experience.

I'm glad you had a good time Andyxedos, and I will offer now to come on a walk with you in the Beacons at a future date. Despite all my advice in this thread, I've never actually been up Pen y Fan, and would love to. I'm in Pontypool. Drop me a PM and we can discuss if you like.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm going to be perverse now, but all of the 'be extra careful' advice that we all (myself included and to the fore) automatically throw out when someone starts a thread like this always leave me wondering it we end up putting people off. I bet most of us did something daft like going up Pen y Fan in February with no experience and the wrong kit, and now here we are a few years later, all the better for the experience.

Not saying we aren't giving good advice, since most of it is sensible, safety related, and given with the intention of avoiding a nasty experience.

That's actually a very interesting point.
I think for a community like BCUK not to offer the 'correct' advice is difficult. Realistically anyone saying just crack on would get a forum 'shoeing' IMHO.

But plenty of folk head up hills in poor conditions or do daft stuff outdoors and lots learn from their epics. I'll stick my hand up and say I've had a few 'epics' in the past or one sort or another mostly on my own or with a partner at an equal level. I lived to tell the tale as did the folk with me. Those epics taught me a lot and I can now draw on those experiences when I'm out and about.

What of course the internet and forums do is help to short cut a learning process in some ways. It's possible to come on line and get a wealth of advice, opinions and information ,that in the past you might have picked up yourself as you did stuff or attempted to do stuff. That's not a bad thing per se but internet 'knowlege' is not the same as experiential knowlege.

IMHO as long as your recognise the difference between the two then you're doing ok.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

I'm glad you had a good time Andyxedos, and I will offer now to come on a walk with you in the Beacons at a future date. Despite all my advice in this thread, I've never actually been up Pen y Fan, and would love to. I'm in Pontypool. Drop me a PM and we can discuss if you like.

I often think that as well, it's like we make simple things out to be rocket science at times. Of course people's safety is paramount, but as you and johnboy say we've all been guilty of doing some daft things and lived to tell the tale. Common sense goes a long way and being man enough to pull the plug on something and walk away when it goes wrong usually sees us right. I'm the type that likes to go out and try things with minimal info when possible but also know when to draw the line if I'm entirely out of my depth. Have a read, get your kit nailed then have a go would usually be my advice.

Ace Rimmer

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Swindon
But if you said, just go for it and he got stuck or had to call mountain rescue, it would come back on this form in a bad (even if incorrect) way. So I think the advice needs to be sensible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE