Professional sleeping bag cleaners?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hey,

I know this thingy was posted many moons ago, but however my search fu is week just now. Bivibabes nice Alpkit PD800 has got a little smokey and we need it cleaned fully - we know we can do it ourselves, but would prefer a professional to do it. Has anyone got the link hand, is strong in search fu or have any recommendations?

Her other sleeping bags and camping gear are probably well and truly gubbed due to the house going on fire ( faulty chimney vent ) but you think they should clean up? Not quite the same as bonfire smoke..

Yours,

Nag.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
After doing the hand washing followed by hours ... and hours ... and hours ... at the laundrette with a not fantastic result on an Alpkit SH600 that had spent 5 weeks with a teenager in Ecuador I came to the conclusion that if you added up the cost of down wash, down proof and the money fed in the slot actually 35 notes sounded much more appealing! I am pretty sure I had problems with the down moving between chambers whilst wet/damp.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Johnsons dry cleaners (possibly along with other company's) Will do a down bag ether dry clean, or wash depending on label for £19. No postage, just drop off and wait about 3 weeks...
I'm going to gamble with my alpkit. Any problems- be on their shoulders. The woman in the shop said they know their stuff (at the special cleaning plant it go's to)

Just a thought :) hold out until I do mine if you like... Probably march.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Johnsons dry cleaners (possibly along with other company's) Will do a down bag ether dry clean, or wash depending on label for £19. No postage, just drop off and wait about 3 weeks...
I'm going to gamble with my alpkit. Any problems- be on their shoulders. The woman in the shop said they know their stuff (at the special cleaning plant it go's to)

Just a thought :) hold out until I do mine if you like... Probably march.

They did my TNF and Rab down jackets, Army arctic sleeping bag and my lads ME down bag, did a good job too.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hey Rik - how did the '58 down bag come out (or was it the synthetic arctic bag you did?) I really like my 58 bag, but the down has compressed over the years and its no longer that warm. Wondered if its good money after bad to get it professionally done........

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Must admit I haven't tried giving it a serious thrashing (for some reason a vision of Fawlty Towers and a tree branch suddenly sprang to mind)! Isn't that likely to damage the down?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Try a good big, cool tumble dryer some fabric softener sheets and one or two packs of tennis balls from Sports direct/poundshop etc.

I understand the secret of a good pro clean is handling of wet down and then drying which can take 12+ hours at just the right temp / "violence" etc.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There is a company in Ulverston that refurbs and modifies down stuff for the BAS among others (British Antarctic Survey). Never used them but they live about half hour or so from me so I'd probably use them when I need mine cleaned. Their prices look good. I also like the idea of replenishing the down (bags can lose down over time) and also the repair and modding options. Things like overfilling certain down pockets or other optimising mods.

I think it could be the Kendal number someone gave above, they both use a similar STD code. Yep, just checked the website. Heard good things about them. http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk/shop/2/index.htm They also do a free assessment I noticed.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hey Rik - how did the '58 down bag come out (or was it the synthetic arctic bag you did?) I really like my 58 bag, but the down has compressed over the years and its no longer that warm. Wondered if its good money after bad to get it professionally done........

I had the down 58 for over a decade and loved it! Problem was it had that much use it pretty much deflated over the years and nothing I tried would revive it. I ended up washing it by hand following all the advice you get online and gave it away. Great bags for the money, just a bit too bulky for my liking thesedays. If you shop around you'll probably find a decent one for less than the price of 2 professional washings.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There is a company in Ulverston that refurbs and modifies down stuff for the BAS among others (British Antarctic Survey). Never used them but they live about half hour or so from me so I'd probably use them when I need mine cleaned. Their prices look good. I also like the idea of replenishing the down (bags can lose down over time) and also the repair and modding options. Things like overfilling certain down pockets or other optimising mods.

I think it could be the Kendal number someone gave above, they both use a similar STD code. Yep, just checked the website. Heard good things about them. http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk/shop/2/index.htm They also do a free assessment I noticed.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'd hate to dump the 58 - its in such brilliant condition apart from less-than-fluffy down! I think I'll try the above people to do an assessment - and possible refurb - first! Trouble is, I've just bought a brand new US Modular set whilst in the US recently - reckon someone will buy it off me if the '58 can live again!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'd hate to dump the 58 - its in such brilliant condition apart from less-than-fluffy down! I think I'll try the above people to do an assessment - and possible refurb - first! Trouble is, I've just bought a brand new US Modular set whilst in the US recently - reckon someone will buy it off me if the '58 can live again!

I wonder if unsponsored could put some new fill in it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE