Wallet Security Idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QuackPot

Feb 3, 2012
Scotland
I've had this idea for a while now, nothing special really, but I was thinking about making a small loop if rope and wrapping my wallet around it and using a karibiner to fasten it to me belt. This is for city use and being in large crowds and not having to worry about being pick-pocketed.

But I'm wondering what kind of rope/size I shoud use. 3mm would be cheaper and could be easier to make tighter knots with but won't be as strong. 5mm would be stronger but won't the knot come undone easier?

I'm sure many other have done this before but does anyone know what to use for this idea and the cheapest place to get it at?

Cheers.

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Never been pick pocketed, but i see a lanyard connected with a karibiner (non locking) would be easier to steal.
I would think a knot would be a better way of connecting it to your trousers.
I also dont think the strength will matter very much, as anything will let you know and i dont think pickpockets want you to notice them.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
When I am away from home I wear a JF leather pouch around my neck, but under my shirt, with emergency stuff in it + dog tags with blood type, contact etc, and when abroad I keep my passport in it too

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
550 paracord breaks at 550lbs so unless your pulled down the street by a truck i think youl be ok, id atach it to a leather trouser belt and not just your belt loop as that would come off if pulled quite hard

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In Thailand pickpockets just cut cords - use chain for real security ....
Or use double bluff - secure a wallet with valueless stuff (a couple of dollar bills and expired library cards, a photo of your ex girlfriend and a letter from the bailiffs)and a couple of pence spending cash, to your person with cord and carry it in an obvious pocket.
Carry your real valuables in a second, discrete wallet under your shirt but only access it secure in a toilet cubicle etc where no one can see the deception :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I gave up using/losing a wallet years ago. Now I just carry pocket knife, cash and a card in my front pockets. Don't see the need to carry much else. Only ever been picked once and I caught the old fella half way through his lift attempt. Busy market in Liverpool.

there is only ONE TRUE PICKPOCKET PROOF WAY to carry your wallet and i have been doing it for years, put your wallet in a plastic bag and put the plastic bag in your Y fronts. if you do get pick pocketed you can at least ask for your moneys worth. personal i take my wallet out of my pocket and shove it down my t shirt so its beoynd pockets and people reach.

as the y front s yes it does work i didi it every friday afternoon in london when in the old days we used to get paid in cash!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE