Fur on deer hide tanning (PICTRE HEAVY)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
I make mine soft and flexible by using neatsfoot oil and dragging over the edge of a thick piece of glass (a burnished edge table) and it works a treat.
Doesn't take long to work then up and they become nice and flexible even if left to go hard before.

bison skin is on my list of must do never know might find the time this year

Best of luck
Will

edit

this is the last i did you can sort of see how flexible by the marbling as the oil is drying http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79215&highlight=fallow+skin

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Wow, your flesh side looks brilliant! Now I've got something to aim for, I was worried about using oil dressings but that looks fab :)

I've done the washing machine tan method for the last hide and noticed a good bit more hair slippage- that could be the length of time from kill (about 8 days) or because it was washed whereas the other hides have been kept cold & dry at all times. I've worked on the sage advice I've been given and made this frame MUCH bigger- its really amazing how much these skins stretch, it needs to be at least 1 1/2 or 2x the hide size. The lacings are also MUCH more frequently spaced :)

I'd heard that the test of tan penetration was if you push an indent, it remains when you remove the pressure and this is noticable on the washing machine tan hide. The instructions I used followed required a biological liquid used at recommended strength on a cold wash with conditioner, repeated using no further liquid or conditioner. I gave it a slow spin (coulda rode the machine around the kitchen if it wasn't plugged in ;) ) then framed and am rubbing as usual while it dries.

Its great to be nearly top side of the first stage, thank you so much to everyone for the helpful advice and support :)
420970_2931712926337_1066438695_2948349_1020739061_n.jpg

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Will (and anyone else who has a pennyworth to add!!), how much neatsfoot did you use and can this stage be done before smoking, or would it be better afterwards so the smoke can penetrate the flesh side more effectively, wash the hide, and then work it in as its redrying?

I'll probably use some lavender massage bar I make, its very medicinal and should be just the thing, having a few hides means I can trial different approaches as long as they're suitably penny-pinching ;)

ps thx karl, I'm kinda enjoying it, unlike the poor family ;)

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Thanks, though hats off to you for taking on so many you have done a top job so far.
My skins have always been alum tanned (it was something i was taught to do since a child by my father) and the oil stage was just to make the hide supple and soft.
I'd suggest that this needs to be done after the smoking. If you brush the skin after when its dry with a gentle wire brush (think suede brush rather than metal work) you we get a nice peach finish like a chamois leather.

best of luck i look forward to seeing the fished items

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I've just taken a nice pic of them all together in long term storage, it's a handy point to catch up with real life :)
418893_2992140436987_1066438695_2969043_1285401968_n.jpg

I thought Joes set up sounded brilliant with the fire and managed to get em moved around so they've been hanging here in the meantime, smells more of a gentle aroma than the pungent HWMBO-repellant of earlier daze, thanks to the open fireplace ;)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Well, now the heat is off with HWMBO, I've stuck up the tipi as a smoking venue (nothing new there then ;) ), sourced a huuuuuge bagful of punky wood and smoked myself silly this afternoon!

Firstly I tacked 4 hides in a circle on their long sides with garden twine through the lacings from the initial prep/ brain tan. The fifth hide made a top and they were tied into the apex to the tipi, which I'd set up with chimney collars closed to maximise that good ole smoke.

That punk is funny stuff, it took at least an hour to get the calor stove up to temperature but once there, it's smouldered beautifully. I had the long chimney in first to light it-
429675_3192978297808_1066438695_3049048_960773322_n.jpg

When the stove was to temperature, I changed to a shorter chimney which puthered the smoke into the bell shaped hides- I'd not made a canvas collar for the chimney as I was worried about not having visiuals inside and I had enough punk to keep the burn going for a good 6-7hrs in a very smokey confined place :) The smoulder was brilliant, it only flared into flames when the door was opened for feeding, perfect :)
429874_3192979177830_1066438695_3049049_109074171_n.jpg

So heres the shorter pipe puffing away gently... I'm at least as smoky as the hides so am off to dowse myself!
430268_3192979857847_1066438695_3049050_1962638761_n.jpg

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Coo, thank goodness that rainy weather bought me a break! A perfect day fer it meant that 2 hides have been done today....
543696_3635635883971_951109905_n.jpg

It was a lovely foot spa on a hot day, fun to do :) Lukewarm to cool water, washload worth of powder, twenty mins foot twiddling ;)

547723_3635636563988_372549472_n.jpg

Followed by six hours scraping over a spined metal metre rule. I can't move my arms ;)

564185_3635637044000_1066438695_3242885_301969646_n.jpg

This one is receiving another foot massage from ma Eldest so it all ended well, we're thinking of rubbing some perfumed oil in a small area of one to make it smell beaut... and its a good preserver of skin :) They are silky with guard hairs and with a thick, springy undercoat on the fur side, smell faintly of woodfire and hair conditioner and I think that'll go well with lavender.

PS My bushcraft betty came.... oooohhhh, John will be impressed ;)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
This is a great thread I really want to have a go at this myself now. My landlord here is a hunter so I might speak to him to see if I can get a hide.

Thanks for this inspirational thread, this should be a sticky :) I have read stuff like this by people who do this sort of thing regulary but it puts it in a whole new light reading a thread from someone like you who is just simply getting stuck in and having a go .:)

Good Job i say

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm using different finishing techniques on each hide- I'm doing the worst, smallest first so it gets the more experimental approaches. Thats been worked until dry and then rolled back on itself, fur outwards, to break down the stiffness, then rubbed on the flesh side with a lavender and cleavers massage bar... it smells ammmmmaaaaazing and forms pretty well to shape, its a good technique but the next will get the rolling followed by a wire brushing... possibly a little oiling with veg oil and lavender.... as the hunters wife likes the softer underside and wants one as a wall hanging in their pub :)

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I've just found this - well done Sally! An enormous amount of effort - I hope it all paid off in the end - did your hunters wife like the one they got? I'm sorry I missed this before. I got taken out of action for a few months last year. It looks like you did wonderfully well. Dogwood gave me an enormous amount of help when I did mine, and kept recommending a book called Deerskins into buckskins, which I mean to buy before I try my next lot of skins!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Hello, lovey! Yes, it was hard work, as I'm sure you know better than most ;)... but I had lots of help and encouragement at the Northwood meets, what a grand bunch of lads they are!

The hunter had the beautiful patterned hide and the other hunter, his bro, had the largest and best of the rest.... unfortunately both only preserved rather than fully finished. I did 2 all the way, the first of which went to a most respected meet organiser- we like to make offerings where thanks is due!- tother needs re-doing but I'm hoping to auction the remaining one and preserved fur at a meet auction to fund donations to a fellow meeter who is running 'Tough Mudder' for Help For Heroes in May time :) The hunters wife, bless her, isn't much interested but he was delighted which is all that matters ;)

I heard a little about your slight mishap (!!) from Elle, we're facebook freinds- what a grand lass!- hope you're back on the mend! If you're thinking about doing more skins, you must be well on the way!

curiosity

Jan 23, 2013
Kent
Very good thread this, but does anybody know why I can't see any of the pictures? Can only see little boxes with red crosses in them - clicking on them doesn't help either!:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE