New knife, what do you think? and what blade are you carrying?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 6, 2012
Chester
I just got my new blade in the mail! i bought a Karesuando boar knife, carbon steel with a drop point! i'm made up with it! what do you guys think of karesuando, and what blades are you carrying? :D

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
9 times out of 10 I will be carrying a SAK. However you can't cut sandwiches with it, for that I use a Martiini :), and for general whittling as well.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The blade pattern on the Karesuando knives Northern Lights Damask is a thing of beauty. Really is.

When I'm out I carry a very basic SAK, Enlan EL-01, SOG Seal Pup Elite and a Condor Golok.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
When I'm out I carry a good old Mora Clipper. It does the job, and I wont lose too much sleep overlosing it, Its a nice blade, and comfortable in the hand, what more doyou need?

Edit: Just had a look at their web shop, those are things of buety.

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I dont own a karesuando but like the look of them,...so cant really comment but,.

i rotate my main user field carry for a few reasons,

1. IMO i believe there is no true "all rounder"
2. the enviroment and task dictates whats used ,..obviously...
3. my knives are very sensitive and get moody if i favour one over the rest.

so if "glamping" with the family i use a modded Essee Rat 3 its full flat and is usually for food prep and the odd bit of carving / spoon roughing...

this i rotate with a Helle Brakar , its a laminated stainless blade and doesnt mind the damp, its just a tad too long

i have recently started using a self made custom woody clone though just to validate the 30 hours labour i put into it. (now Southey has sharpened it for me :))

in my bag / pocket always is a Wenger Ranger series, (the one with a saw) and to be honest does most daily stuff adequatly (although not strictly legal carry without good reason)

i have a Mora eriksonn hunter in the car bag too, sharp as a laser beam but only ever cut an apple and a sarnie.

cheers,

Stu

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
About two years ago I treat myself to a CRKT M16 Ti, it was damn expensive but what a piece of kit, AUS 8a blade, Titanium handle, flipper for one handed opening, and can be stripped down to component parts for cleaning and servicing.

Looks a bit military-ish, but i carry and use it all the time on the farm and when out doing tree work, and i'd never be without now.

I hear the Karesuandos are good knives too though, even though mine was expensive, you don't have to spend silly money to get a good solid knife, after all, it's the skill of the person using it that makes a knife useful!

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
Well, I am all Fallkniven. I have used the F1, H1, S1, WM1 and U2 from time to time.
Nowadays the U2 hangs on my keyring, the WM1 goes in the big possibles bag, the F1 and S1 goes with me when I an outdoors. The H1 is in my collection.
I really like Fallkniven knives, however you can usually do the same thing with a Mora knive.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I have an Enzo which has now been relegated to our Scout Hut as a knife for general duties and live in the box with all the moras, my pack knife is now a Helle much lighter to use and holds a far better edge.

There are much more expensive knives about and I guess people will buy what they like/want. But I couldn't spend that much on a knife!

BOD

Very nice knife:)

Nearest thing I have to it is a custom Finnish Pukko.

Unfortunately neither would last long in the equatorial rainforest especially the sheath. A SAK would jam as well so I bring along a s/s Mora Craftsman for the small jobs and an Iban duku as the trail knife.

Tip: A Leatherman is better than a SAK for prolonged jungle time.

gypsy slings

Forager
Sep 2, 2011
yorkshir
ive got a wled bore myself an i cnt fault it its a good allround knive and the blade quality is great .....i use my custom opinel no9 most of the time but when i do heavy work iuse my bore

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I just got my new blade in the mail! i bought a Karesuando boar knife, carbon steel with a drop point! i'm made up with it! what do you guys think of karesuando, and what blades are you carrying? :D

one of these?

I've been looking at these for a while. I'd be interested in your opinion on how it performs

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Very nice knife:)

Nearest thing I have to it is a custom Finnish Pukko.

Unfortunately neither would last long in the equatorial rainforest especially the sheath. A SAK would jam as well so I bring along a s/s Mora Craftsman for the small jobs and an Iban duku as the trail knife.

Tip: A Leatherman is better than a SAK for prolonged jungle time.

+1 on all that, my old SAK in the drawer in the office is the part seized one from the jungle.

hughewil

Feb 13, 2012
Ohio, USA
When on a a dayhike I normally only take along my Vic Huntsman unless I have a specific purpose I plan on needing another knife for.

If going overnight or longer camping I will normally take a couple of fixed blades. My Becker BK2 on my belt and my Mora clipper in my pack along with a hatchet.

If backpacking it used to be my clipper but now I have a little 3 inch custom from SDS knifeworks along with a hatchet or saw.

This is all of course complimented by a knife in my pocket as well.

LW_Norfolk

Jan 8, 2012
Norfolk
I rehandled one of these for a lady deer stalker who had broken the handle, not quite sure how, but I rehandled in burr elm for her and had to re-grind the tip which she also broke off.

Just waiting on her returning it broken again, she really puts her blades through the mill.
260427_10150330216348032_552833031_9983445_5130801_n.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE