Yurt in the Lake District? (UK)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

Hi All,

I'm looking to spend a couple of weeks day hiking in the Lake District in December/January and am pondering renting myself a Yurt with a stove as the nights are long this time of year, and can be cold.

Any recommendations out there for reliable companies or organisations providing decent Yurts in Cumbria?

Many thanks in advance...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I passed a couple down the bottom of Borrowdale last year, I think it might be Hollows Farm campsite. A great setting down by the river with plenty of walking options nearby.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
There are a few campsites in the Lakes that rent yurts but from what I gather they close from the end of october to march & you have to book up long in advance due to the demand....................
I could be wrong, I usually am

bearbait

By way of an update...as blacktimberwolf suggested I did find a number of Yurt (or Ger) providers "closed" for the winter but there were a number still open. I settled on The Lovely Yurt Company for a week and my Yurt was fine - including a welcome box of choccies and a bottle of wine! Easy to keep warm with the stove.

They have three Yurts set discreetly in a small sustainable commercial woodland - Fell Foot Wood - by Windermere. This woodland also provides a small number of dispersed campsites which may be of interest to a BCUKer or two who don't fancy camping on a commercial site. According to the website (www.fellfootwood.co.uk/) they also have a couple of Tentipis for hire, although they weren't erected when I was there in late December.

Poor weather, including one day of forecast 100MPH winds on Helvelyn, had me hiking at lower levels for the week. Xmas lunch was eating my trail rations sheltering in my Jerven Bag between Nab Scar and Heron Pike in 30-40MPH winds and driving rain. Nontheless a good week, although I had aimed to do one or more of Helvelyn, Scafell and Blencathra. However, I did manage to get up Snowdon (in 30 metre viz all the way up) on the way back to mid-Wales so all was not lost. Awful amount of litter on the top from the "visitors" to the peak.

Have a Great New Year...and many thanks for your suggestions!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE