Bluebells and Tulips are up already

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I observed two adult male Viviparous Lizards basking yesterday on a south-facing bank in Kent. They were next to a series of mammal burrows that I suspect they are using as their hibernacular site. The temperature yesterday morning was just 6.5 degrees showing how hardy these little lizards are.
It's quite noticeable in the first image how the lizard is flattening itself as much as possible to create a larger surface area and absorb as much of the sun's heat as it can.
They were totally motionless even when I came within just 12 inches of them with my camera. If this mild winter continues then I wonder how soon we'll see our first adders emerging?

Jason

viviparouslizard1jasons.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-03

viviparouslizard2jasons.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know we had lizards like that in the UK :)
How cool is that ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I do read JD's posts, but the most I've ever seen is the occasional adder or a grass snake............like maybe half a dozen in my lifetime.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Trees in blossom on our street.

I worry about a cold snap in February - this current weather, the gales and showers, is more like normal November weather. Very screwed up weather patterns. That's global warming for you - chaotic weather.

winst0nsmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2012
South West Wales
Daffodils, snow drops and cleavers are up early, blackthorn, daisy, red campion, primrose and dandilion are flowering and too many trees to list are budding here in Pembrokshire. Some lemon balm has kept leaves all winter as have blackberries and raspberries. The dogs are having a real good old sniff around on banks and rush bases too which suggests increased critter activity.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE