My way of making a bottle stove (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
As the title says this is my way of making a bottle stove. I'm not saying it's the best way but it works, it's simple and it uses the most basic of tools.

Here are the "tools" i use, a drill with a 1mm bit, a roll of masking tape, a steel rule, some emery cloth, a pen or pencil, a piece of wood with a backstop and an old bread knife. I didn't have a Budweiser bottle so i used a Glade air freshener container, the method is the same, the only thing that is different are a couple of measurements and i'll explain those later.

howtomakeastove001.jpg

After making sure the bottle was empty i took all the paint off using the emery cloth. I wouldn't normally do this until after the stoves finished and then just for appearance sake. I did it this way to make things a little easier to see, you dont have to take the paint off at all if you dont want to.

Using the rule i measured up 35mm, line (A), from the bottom of the bottle, put a mark and again at 50mm, line (B). When it comes to finding where to put Line (C) i put the rule on its edge along the side of the bottle and mark the bottle where it comes away from the rule (sorry no pic) [/B] . I then put a mark 10mm from this (X on the bottle) back towards the bottom of the bottle this becomes line(C) From line (C) i then measure up the bottle 50mm and put a mark, line (D).

Obviously lines (C) and (D) would be in different positions on a budweiser bottle, this is the only difference.

howtomakeastove003.jpg

Next i wrap masking tape round the bottle. As you can see my lines aren't perfect but they don't have to be. You can put the lines all the way round by measuring up a few times with a rule as i did here, or to make a better job of it use books or wood up to the height you want and holding a pen on them carefully turn the bottle.

howtomakeastove005.jpg

Now make a mark anywhere on line (A). The diameter of this container is similar to a budweiser bottle and i know that you can drill in approximately 30 holes with 6mm spacing inbetween. Take your time drilling the holes as the drill bit is easily broken. The masking tape helps to prevent the drill from slipping and the backstop makes all the work alot easier. In my opinion it's better to drill the bottle at this stage rather than after it's cut as it's a little stronger and you are less inclined to slip.
howtomakeastove006.jpg

Once all the holes are drilled, it's time to start cutting and yes i know using an old bread knife may seem a little strange but there is a good reason for it I found that the bread knife makes a neater cut than even a junior hacksaw. It cuts rather than rips the bottle and it makes for less sanding later. It may take a little longer but then again this isn't a race. Dont try to cut through in one go i it's easier( and more accurate) if it takes a few turns of the bottle to cut all the way through and it's better to start cutting at the top, the bottle is a little more rigid if you cut line (B) last.

howtomakeastove007.jpg

After cutting you have these.
howtomakeastove008.jpg

Remove the masking tape and using the emery cloth take off any burrs especially the ones on the inside of the bottom section and the outside upper edge of the inner section.
howtomakeastove010.jpg

howtomakeastove009.jpg

The next step is to cut grooves into the narrow part of what will become the inner section to let the meths through. It is easier if you hold the section securely and make the cuts by drawing the knife towards you only cutting the side nearest to you. I make four cuts like this.
howtomakeastove011.jpg

Now to assemble the stove.Place the inner section into the outer trying to keep it as even as possible.

howtomakeastove013.jpg

Turn the stove over and push together, if this is difficult you can always put a block of wood on it and using a hammer carefully tap the two pieces together until the inner section is all the way down to the bottom. It may be better if you turn the stove a few times while you are doing this to make sure they go together as evenly as possible, and keep checking so you know when the inner section is all the way in this will stop you from bending the stove. Any excess can be either be sanded off the top or trimmed off with the bread knife. Before you put any meths in you may want to carefully measure one fluid ounce of water and put that into the stove and mark a line ( i usually just scratch the inside with a scriber), you can do the same with 2 fluid ounces. With some experience these will help you put in just enough meths. Drain the water out of the stove.

Put in some meths, get some water boiling and make yourself a brew, you've earned it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well Andy thanks as this has just spurred me on to make one. I like the idea as its really clean even when the paint on the can is left on. I'm now going to search for an Ali bottle, sure that SHMBO will have some somewhere.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
They always find out mate, even if you really thought you'd covered your tracks, they have this gene for detecting guilt.

I know, my wife always seems to find receipts of things i have bought, even if i thought i had thrown them away. always have to distract her when she starts going though my pockets

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
always have to distract her when she starts going though my pockets

It's called frisking if you happen to be wearing them at the time, or frisky... I can't remember which. :lmao:

My sympathies for her finding the receipts though. Been there, done that, slept in the doghouse. LOL!!

Sorry for the thread hijack AndyT. Great tutorial and niiiiiice drill.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
One thing i forgot to mention is don't throw the middle unused section away........get a small cat food tin, like the ones from wilkinsons. Clean the can out, removing any burrs. Cut grooves into the end of the unused middle section and stand it in the cat food can. Ideally it should stand around 15-20mm proud of the can. Push in a small amount of loft insulation between the bottle and the can and you now have two stoves instead of one. This stove may not look as pretty but it will work and it could possibly have a few advantages over the white box type stove. You dont have to wait for it to prime, ( it only takes a few seconds for the meths to soak into the loft insulation) .I think it's better for smaller pots as the flames go up rather than out and in my opinion it's slightly more efficient. Of course both these stoves need a windshield but that's easily made from an old cereal box and some aluminium foil. So not counting the cost of the tools you now have two stoves that work, are very light, nothing to go wrong with them, and a windshield that easily cost less than a fiver.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use a vice to push the two halves together, protected by blocks of wood - nice and controllable. Great tutorial, thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE